Los Angeles, California – SYD, Stonewall Young Democrats, LA County’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) youth advocacy group responded to Compton School Board Member Skyy Fisher inflammatory comments about our community.
Appearing on a radio podcast, Compton Unified School Board Member Skyy Fisher, called 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, the Florida teen killed by George Zimmerman on February 26 in Sanford, Florida, a “fa**ot black dude” and school Superintendent Karen Frison a “b**ch”.
It’s completely outrageous for him to use that language, especially as an elected member of a school board.
We understand that good people can make mistakes and learn from them; however, the severity, context and repeated nature of these offensive remarks compel us to call for Mr. Fisher’s resignation. We are grateful to the Community leaders, parents and families of Compton for showing their support for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community.
That is why we join Compton School Board Member Satra Zurita, NAACP Compton, Parents and Families of Compton in calling for the resignation of Mr. Skyy Fisher.
We wish him well as he takes the time to engage in self-reflection and better himself as in individual and we look forward to assisting the people of Compton in electing a new Board Member to the School Board.
Last 5 posts by admin
- Stonewall Young Dems issues new endorsements for Nov '12 - September 25th, 2012
- Event Alert: 6th Annual HERO Awards - July 25th, 2012
- Reception in Support of Senator Fran Pavley - June 14th, 2012
- Harvey Milk Day hosted by Mike Manning! May 20, 2012 - April 24th, 2012
- Panel: Choosing Between LGBT candidates & Straight-Allied Incumbents - February 22nd, 2012